"The Twenty Third Psalm"
The Twenty Third Psalm is beautifully written, meaningful, and full of spiritual instructions, so it is odd, that perhaps the most difficult thing about this Psalm is our familiarity with it."
What do you visualize when you hear or read the Twenty Third Psalm?
Are we to visualize green grasses and beautiful clouds, being well cared for by God's constant care and guidance, Or should we concentrate more on "the valley of the shadow of death"?
The following are my reflections, perhaps yours will be different.
(The Lord is the One who looks after, feeds, guides and protects me, I do not lack anything.)
2. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.
(He lets me rest in pleasant surroundings, he leads me into peaceful situations.)
3. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
(He renews my energies. He keeps me on the path that will bring honor to his name)
4. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
(Even in my darkest times, I will have no fear, because you are with me all the way. Your power and protection bring me great comfort.)
5. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
(You feed and provide for me all that I need, even in the presence of those who might try to destroy me. Your anointing is so great that my life overflows with your provision and goodness.)
6. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
(I have no doubt that His overwhelming compassion and unfailing love will preserve and guide me all the days of my life, and that I will spend eternity with the Lord in a heavenly home prepared just for me.)